1) Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl and wet ingredients in a smaller bowl. When whisking your melted butter into your eggs and milk, make sure it’s not too hot or you’ll make scrambled eggs. Also, grate your cheese and dice up your jalapenos and scallions.
2) Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until batter is together. Some lumps are fine. Then stir in cheese, jalapenos, and scallions. Leave a few tablespoons of scallions and cheese to top the cornbread.
3) Let the batter sit for 10 minutes.
4) Pour the batter into a cast iron skillet. I recommend rubbing the cast iron skillet with a bit of butter just to make sure the cornbread doesn’t stick.
5) Bake at 350 degrees until the cornbread is set and the edges are browned, about 30 minutes. Check it with a toothpick in the center.
6) Cool for a few minutes before serving.