1) Butter an 8×8 baking dish. Tear pieces of stale bread into large chunks and layer them in the buttered dish. If you don’t have any really stale bread, toast your bread for 10 minutes in a 300 degree oven to dry it out.
2) Add any sort of grated or crumbled cheese to the top of the bread until it just barely covers the bread. Two cups will be more than enough. I used a mix of cheddar and goat cheese.
3) Add a few handfuls of leftover veggies (or meat) to the dish. You can use almost any fresh vegetable. I used a roasted red pepper and 1/2 an onion.
4) In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and milk and pour the mixture over the bread and vegetables.
5) Cover the dish and let it rest for at least 15 minutes or up to overnight in the fridge.
6) Season the dish with salt and pepper and a tiny pinch of ground nutmeg.
7) Bake the dish at 350 degrees covered for 20 minutes and then uncovered for 30 minutes. The dish is done when the custard in the center are set.
8) Let cool for a minute or two and then serve immediately!