A step-by-step process on how to make your own crispy tofu at home. This tutorial involves a few easy steps and is full-proof. Use the results in many recipes!
1 block firm or extra firm tofu
4 cups boiling salted water
1/2 cup neutral oil, for pan-frying
Easy dipping sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- Remove tofu from the container and drain off water. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes and place on a drainable rack over the sink or in a colander.
- Boil a kettle of salted water (I used 1 tablespoon kosher salt per quart of water).
- Slowly pour boiling water over the surface of the cubed tofu. Allow to drain for a minute.
- Transfer salted tofu to a few paper towels to dry completely. Pat dry with more towels so the surface of the tofu is very dry.
- In a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, add oil. You want enough oil so it goes up about 1/8 inch in the pan. When glistening hot, but not smoking, add tofu cubes in batches. Turn heat down to medium and sear tofu for 4-5 minutes. Then flip and sear on the second side.
- Remove tofu and let drain on a few paper towels. Serve with dipping sauce or in any recipe that asks for delicious, crispy tofu.