This is my favorite chicken rollatini, packed with herbed ricotta cheese and proscuitto. It’s a showstopper for sure!
6 chicken cutlets (4oz.), pounded thin
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 lemon, juice only
1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
6 slices proscuitto
8 ounces ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons fresh basil
1 tablespoon fresh sage
1 lemon, zest only
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place chicken cutlets between two pieces of plastic wrap and use a meat tenderizer to pound them into an even thickness (about 1/4-inch is a good goal). It’s okay if there are a few holes. They don’t have to be perfect. Repeat with all chicken cutlets.
- In a small bowl, melt butter and stir in lemon juice. Add breadcrumbs to a second bowl.
- Dip the chicken cutlets in the melted butter and then coat well with breadcrumbs. Lay breaded chicken cutlets on a plate and repeat with all of them.
- Stir together ricotta, herbs, and lemon zest. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Working with one chicken cutlet at a time, place a slice of proscuitto on the chicken and then add about two tablespoons of ricotta filling. Then roll the chicken into a tight cylinder and place the chicken, seam-side down, in a baking dish. Repeat with all the chicken cutlets.
NOTE: You can prep the recipe in advance up to this point if you would like.
- Bake the chicken rollatini at 350 degrees F. for 30-35 minutes. You should definitely use a meat thermometer to make sure the chicken reaches 165 degrees F. in the center of each roll.
- Serve rollatini whole or slice and serve!