How to Make Microwave Nachos
For easy snacks, nothing beats a plate of microwaved nachos! These are no frills, easy to make, and delicious. Plus, these are ready in literally 2 minutes.
How to Make Microwave NachosJump to Recipe
One of my wife’s favorite late-night snacks is a plate of nachos. For late-night snacks, it’s too much work to turn on the oven and make a real-deal nacho platter so we make microwave nachos!
Believe it or not, there is actually some science and technique to making a really good plate of microwave nachos. You can’t just pile on your ingredients and zap them into oblivion!
In case you need a Tex-Mex snack fix, look no further than the easy and incredibly quick microwave nacho plate!
Good Ingredients for Microwave Nachos
I love nacho platters that are piled to the max with toppings. Just check out my nacho archives if you need some examples there.
But, when you are making nachos in the microwave, it’s actually better to have a light touch with the toppings. I prefer to use fewer toppings that have big flavors. I usually leave off meat and beans for microwave nachos because meat gets greasy in the microwave and the beans are just too much for a snack.
Instead, I like to keep my toppings simple for microwave nachos. Things like:
- Cheese (obvs)
- Salsa (drain it if it is very watery)
- Sour cream
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Fresh cilantro
Best Cheese for Microwave Nachos
I’ve tried pretty much every cheese in the cheese drawer for quick microwave nacho snack plates. I think the best cheese for these is a mix of Monterey Jack and cheddar.
Monterey Jack is the best for melting. It really melts beautifully and isn’t too strong in flavor. A little cheddar gives some sharpness to the cheese mix, but if you just have Monterey Jack that’s fine.
American cheese also does okay in a pinch, but has a weird texture once it cools – which is inevitable for a microwave plate of nachos.
- Quick Side Note: These are an excellent snack for a pregnant mom. Read my other best Pregnant Mom Recipes!
Tip: Heat Your Chips!
Before you add anything to the chips, spread out your chips on the plate and microwave them for a few seconds (20-30 seconds) on high. This is sort of like toasting the chips and it warms them up nicely.
Then when you do add your shredded cheese, try to spread it out really evenly on the chips. Don’t just pile it up in the middle! Think thin layers instead of big piles!
Tips and Tricks for Making Microwave Nachos
Here are some tips to remember for making the best plate of microwave nachos!
- Careful melting the cheese! A microwave can quickly melt and scorch cheese. I recommend melting the cheese in 15-20 second bursts until it’s just melted but not burned at all.
- Once your cheese is melted, add any sturdier toppings (jalapeno, salsa, avocado, etc.) and microwave the plate again for 15 seconds. This will warm up the ingredients.
- Add sour cream and herbs right before serving!
- Eat microwave nachos right away! The sooner the better!
Of course, these are no replacement for a real full-on nacho platter, but the perfect is the enemy of the good when it comes to snacks!
I wouldn’t serve these microwave nachos to guests, but I’ll gladly make them for me and my wife as we binge something on TV.
Be honest: Have you ever microwaved nachos?!
Like this recipe? Check out my 12 easy game day recipes.
Easy Microwave Nachos
- 1 plate tortilla chips
- ⅓-½ cup grated Monterey jack cheese
- ⅓-½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ avocado chopped
- Pickled Jalapeno
- Fresh Cilantro
- Spread out tortilla chips on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 30 seconds. This will warm the chips and slightly toast them.
- Remove chips and add cheese. Spread the cheese out evenly on chips, don’t just pile it up in the center. Microwave in 20-second increments on high until cheese is melted, but not burned.
- Remove from microwave and add small drizzles of salsa, avocado, and pickled jalapeno. Return to microwave and microwave for 15 seconds. This warms everything through.
- Remove from microwave and add sour cream and fresh cilantro.
- Enjoy immediately!
Did you make this?
Snap a photo and tag @macheesmo so I can see your work.
Here are a few other great nacho recipes!
- Chicken Fajita Nachos
- Greek Nachos
- Weeknight BBQ Nachos
- Epic Beef Nachos Supreme from A Pinch of Healthy
3 Responses to “How to Make Microwave Nachos” Leave a comment
I’m glad you posted this. As someone who DEIGNS the microwave (but of course, use it when needed), I agree that quick nachos for 1-2 turn out best in aforementioned device. Sometimes…even better than the oven or toaster oven!
Thanks for breaking it down into steps. Perfect for instant gratification + comfort food. Love it!
I have made nachos like this for 25+ years but I never thought to nuke the chips first! Usually I’m in such a hurry to eat them that I put the corn tortilla chips on the plate & spread the freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese over them & nuke for 35 to 45 seconds on high (depends on how thickly I’ve shredded my cheese) & once outta the microwave I put on peach salsa & then enjoy!!!
But not serve them to guests? Really? At my home I cannot stop them from stealing mine! So then I’m making more & more for all of us! They are so good when you’re playing hours of Catan!
P.S. I try not to buy pre-shredded cheese, so I freshly shred my block of Cheddar in my Presto Salad Shooter, sometimes w/the coarse grater & other times w/the fine grater.