Knowing how to make instant rice from a sturdy rice is a great meal planning tip. It’s easy to make in bulk, is healthier than store-bought instant rice, and reheats perfectly!
1) Add rice to a large pot and rinse with cold water a few times. Then fill pot with water and bring to a simmer over high heat (uncovered).
2) Let the rice simmer, stirring occasionally to separate the grains, until it is cooked through but has a small bite to it (al dente). This should take 15-20 minutes and you’ll only know it’s ready by tasting it.
3) When rice is done, strain rice through a metal mesh strainer and return immediately to the hot pot. Return pot to hot stove, but turn off heat immediately. Cover rice and let it steam for 5 minutes.
4) Fluff rice with a fork and then let it cool completely to room temperature.
5) Portion rice out in 3/4-1 cup servings and wrap portions tightly in plastic wrap. Then store these bundles in a large freezer safe bag. Press out as much air as possible from the bag and freeze.
Unwrap a rice bundle and add to a bowl with a tablespoon of water and a pat of butter (optional). Microwave on high for 60-90 seconds until rice is steaming hot.