1) Add a good drizzle of olive oil (2 tablespoons) to a large, high walled skillet or pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the mushrooms, onions, and garlic along with a pinch of salt. Cook until mushrooms soften, about 5 minutes.
2) Remove veggies and add ground beef and sausage to the pan. Cook until the meat is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Tilt pan and spoon out most of the fat that has collected. Then stir veggies back into pan.
3) Add tomato sauce and paste to the pan and stir to combine. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
4) Add half of the fresh basil and parsley to the filling and turn off the heat.
5) In a separate bowl, combine cottage cheese, eggs, and remainder of fresh herbs.
6) Cook noodles according to package in heavily salted water with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil added in.
7) In a large baking dish or lasagna pan, add a layer of noodles followed by half of the meat filling. Top with half of the cottage cheese mixture, then half of the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
8) Top with another layer of noodles, then the last of the cottage cheese mixture, then the rest of the meat filling. Top the whole dish with the remainder of the grated cheeses.
9) Bake the lasagna at 350 for 30-40 minutes until it’s hot in the center.
10) Serve immediately.
11) TO freeze, let lasagna cool to room temperature then transfer to fridge to cool and solidify.
12) Slice lasagna into individual servings and remove them from the pan. They should stay perfectly together if they are cold.
13) Wrap each serving in plastic wrap and then store all the individual servings in freezer safe plastic bags.
14) To reheat, microwave frozen lasagna on high for 4-5 minutes.