A photo walk through of making mayonnaise from scratch. Be careful though. Once you try this you won’t able to eat any other mayonnaise ever.
1 large egg yolk, preferably farm raised or organic
1/2 Teaspoon salt or a scant 1 Teaspoon of Kosher salt
1 Teaspoon water
1 Cup oil (I like 1/2 vegetable oil and 1/2 olive oil)
2 Teaspoons lemon juice (optional)
Nerves and forearms of steel.
1) Whisk yolk, water, and salt together in a large bowl.
2) Drizzle in a few drops of oil while whisking. Do this a few times until the yolk mixture starts to lighten in color.
3) Continue adding oil, drizzling in a bit more each time while whisking.
4) As the sauce firms up, you can drizzle in more oil each time.
5) When the oil is all mixed in, the mayo should be very thick. Serve with whatever you can put it on!
The method I used is from Ratio
This delicious recipe was brought to you by Macheesmo. Read the full post at https://wp.me/pkSYO-5Nn.