This refreshing lemonade is perfect to accompany summertime grilling. Enjoy it with ice cubes or make it in advance and chill it in the fridge.
1 cup lemon juice, about 3-4 large fresh lemons
3 1/2 cups water, divided into 1/2 cup and 3 cups
1/2 cup sugar, granulated white sugar
Ice cubes, optional
Mint leaves, optional garnish
- To make the simple syrup: peel 4-5 strips of lemon skin from the lemons (this step is optional).
- Heat the lemon peels, 1/2 cup of water, and sugar in a small saucepan on medium-high heat until you see bubbles appear on the bottom of the pan. Continuously stir until the syrup looks clear. It’s ready when the bubbles gently float to the surface. Allow the syrup to cool.
- Juice the lemons until you have about a cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- To make the lemonade: Combine the simple syrup, lemon juice, and the remaining 3 cups of water. Stir to mix thoroughly. If it’s too sweet, add more water to dilute.
- Serve with ice cubes and optionally garnish with mint leaves.