A much improved version of the filet o fish sandwich with baked breaded white fish and my favorite homemade tartar sauce.
Chive Tartar Sauce:
1) For tartar sauce, stir together ingredients in a small bowl. Feel free to taste and adjust to your liking. You might like an extra squeeze of lemon or extra salt and pepper. For a richer sauce you can also use all mayo, but I like a yogurt/mayo mix.
2) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place a baking sheet in the oven to preheat as well.
3) Portion fish into 6-ounce pieces. Try to cut them so they will fit nicely on a sandwich and they shouldn’t be more than 1/2 inch thick.
4) Season the fish well with salt and pepper. Then dust the fish with flour, then dip in milk, and then transfer to bread crumbs and pack onto the fish. Move to a plate to let the breadcrumbs stick to the fish for a few minutes.
5) When ready to cook, remove hot sheet pan from oven and drizzle well with olive oil. Place the fish on the pan. Let bake for 8-10 minutes, then flip and bake for another 8-10 minutes until the fish is nicely browned and cooked through. It should flake apart easily.
6) Toast sandwich rolls or bread and slather with tartar sauce. Top tartar sauce with baby spinach and add baked fish to the bread and top with tomatoes and avocado. Top the sandwich with the other piece of bread and serve immediately! You’ll need lots of napkins. It’s messy!