This is a classic homemade chocolate cake recipe with a rich chocolatey flavor and a moist crumb. Serve it with your favorite frosting for a delightful treat!
Recipe adapted from Happy and Blessed Home version.
2 cups 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup 4 tablespoons boiling water
Butter for the baking pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry mixture into the wet mixture and whisk until evenly combined. Using a stand mixer, it should take about 2 minutes to get all the lumps out.
- Pour the boiling water into the cake mixture and whisk until evenly combined. The batter will be quite thin.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 10-inch round baking pan. Pour the batter into the baking pan and smooth out the surface using a spatula.
- Bake the cake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 55 minutes until a tester comes out clean from the center. Your baking time will change if you use a different-sized pan. See below for tips.
- Cool the cake for at least 10 minutes before frosting.