This chicken tikka masala recipe is made from scratch and with love. It takes some time, but is very much worth it!
FOr the naan:
1) Heat milk until it’s about body temperature (100 degrees F.) Transfer to small bowl and whisk in yeast and sugar. Let sit for a few minutes until it starts to foam.
2) Stir together flour and salt. Then mix in minced onions, yogurt, and melted butter.
3) Stir in warm milk and mix until combined. Dough should be slightly sticky. If it is very sticky, add more flour by the tablespoon or if it is dry, add milk by the tablespoon.
4) Once dough is pulled together, knead it for a few minutes in the bowl, then transfer to a clean lightly-oiled bowl, cover, and let rise for 2 hours.
5) Punch dough down and divide it into 9-10 dough balls. Use floured hands to work with the dough. Let dough balls rest for 10 minutes.
6) Heat a heavy skillet on medium-high heat. Once hot, brush with oil or ghee. WOrking with one dough ball at a time, stretch it out and lay it in the pan. It’s okay to have some thicker parts and if it is slightly misshaped. Let naan cook for 2 minutes per side until it’s lightly charred. You should be able to cook two at once in a 12 inch skillet.
7) You can keep the naan warm in a 250 degree oven until serving or they are also okay at room temperature.
For the Chicken Tikka Masala:
1) Mix together garlic, ginger, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, and cumin. Divide mixture in half. Add half to a bowl with yogurt and salt and add in chicken. Marinate for at least 3 hours in the fridge.
2) When ready to make the sauce, add ghee or veggie oil to a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion, tomato paste, smashed cardamom and smashed chile peppers. Cook for five minutes until onion is soft and paste is darkened.
3) Add remaining half of original spice mixture along with tomatoes and juices. Bring to a simmer and scrape up any bits stuck to pan. Simmer for a few minutes.
4) Add in cream and cilantro (stems are okay). Simmer on low until sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.
5) Preheat broiler in your oven and line a baking sheet with foil. Lay out marinated chicken on a few wire racks. Broil chicken until nicely charred for about 10 minutes per side.
6) Let chicken cool. Then dice into bite-sized pieces and add to sauce.
7) Simmer chicken in sauce for 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through. SErve chicken over rice with cilantro and onion naan (optional).