An easy recipe for how to prepare and pack up your own burrito bowls for a quick and healthy lunch. Better than fast food any day!
1) Cook rice using your favorite method. I like to boil mine in water until tender and then drain it and return it to the hot pan. Squeeze in a lime and cover it and let it steam for 5 minutes (off the burner). Then fluff with a fork.
2) For the corn, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of chili powder. Roast at 350-375 degrees F. until lightly charred in places, about 15 minutes, turning a few times during roasting.
3) Cut corn off of cobs. Stir together with drained and rinsed black beans. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper if needed.
4) For tortilla strips, cut into 1/2 inch strips and spread out on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 350 for 10-15 minutes until they are browned and turning crispy. Remove from oven and let cool completely. They will get crispier as they cool. Store in an air-tight container.
5) To make a bowl for lunch, pile in some rice into a microwave safe container. Add some black beans and corn and top with grated cheese (just a small handful). Take to work the salsa, corn tortillas, avocado (and cilantro optionally).
6) When it’s lunch time, heat up the rice and beans until warm and cheese is melted. Top with salsa, 1/2 an avocado, corn strips, and cilantro. Chow down.