1) Chop all your veggies into uniform pieces. Peel the squash, potatoes, and carrots and dice into 1/2-inch cubes for the squash and potatoes.
2) Add olive oil to a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and leeks and cook for a few minutes until they soften.
3) Add the longer cooking ingredients next like the squash and potatoes. Stir together and continue to cook for a few minutes.
4) Add garlic, corn, and thyme along with enough stock and water (I used half and half mixture) to cover the ingredients. You’ll probably need about 2 quarts of liquid total.
5) Bring to a simmer, and simmer the soup, partially covered, for about 20 minutes until the squash and potatoes are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
6) Optionally, at this point, add 1/2 cup of lentils and continue to cook for 15 minutes until they are soft. Finally stir in corn and tomatoes and simmer until warm.
7) Serve with lots of crusty bread or crackers!