Green Chile Potato Soup starts with a classic cream of potato soup and then kicks it up a notch with roasted Hatch green chiles! The perfect fall soup.
1) Prepare all your ingredients: chopping onions, carrots, celery, potatoes. Also, scrape out the seeds from the roasted chiles and chop them up roughly.
2) In a large, heavy pot, add butter over medium heat. Once melted, add onions, celery, carrots, and chiles. Cook for 4-5 minutes until they start to soften. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
3) Add potatoes to the pot and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes. Potatoes shouldn’t be cooked all the way at this point.
4) Stir in flour and cook for a minute or two to cook out flour taste. Then add vegetable stock and bring to a light simmer. Stir the soup to make sure stuff isn’t sticking to the bottom, cover the pot and let simmer for 10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
5) Add milk, cream, and chili powder to the soup.
6) Working in batches, ladle out some of the soup and add it to a blender. Blend until smooth (be very careful blending hot liquid. It’s best to let it cool slightly before blending and never fill your blender more than 2/3 full). Blend most of the soup but leave some of it unblended for texture.
7) Return the blended soup to the pot and season the soup to your liking with salt and pepper.
Serve serve while hot with fresh chives and extra chopped chiles on top.