Tender homemade biscuits with orange zest and golden raisins that I served with a strawberry jam and fresh whipped cream.
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, combine first six dry ingredients well.
2) Cube cold butter and use fingers to cut butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles a coarse meal.
3) Add buttermilk and stir until everything is just combined. The dough should be in pieces.
4) Stir in raisins and orange zest.
5) Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it a few times. Then roll it out into about a 6×9 rectangle.
6) Cut cakes into 9 even pieces.
7) Transfer cakes to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush each one with buttermilk and sprinkle with raw sugar.
8) Bake for 14-15 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. When cooked, remove and let cool slightly before serving.
9) Meanwhile, whisk cold cream in a large bowl until it holds peaks. Optionally, flavor the cream with a pinch of sugar and some vanilla.
10) Serve cakes split open with cream and jam.