A perfectly sweet shredded golden beet coffee cake with a brown sugar crumb. Think carrot cake, except with beets! Perfect for breakfast, brunch or dessert!
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel and grate golden beets until you have about 1 1/2 cups.
2) In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt) and toss in shredded beets.
3) In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugar and cream together with a hand mixer. Cream these together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
4) Mix in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Combine well.
5) Mix in sour cream, followed by the dry ingredients, followed by milk. Stir or mix until it’s combined well.
6) In a separate bowl, stir together crumb ingredients until well combined.
7) Pour batter into a buttered 2 1/2 quart baking dish (or you can use an 8×8 baking dish) and top with brown sugar crumb.
8) Bake the coffee cake for 60-65 minutes until the coffee cake is golden brown and a tester comes out clean.
9) Let coffee cake cool for 15-20 minutes and the slice and serve!
Leftover coffee cake will keep fine in an airtight container for 3 days.