Soft gingerbread cookies coated in sparkling sugar and sandwiched around a simple buttercream filling. Your new favorite holiday cookie!
Soft Gingerbread Cookies:
2 1/4 cups Bob's Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour
SUB: 2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup molasses
Coarse sugar, for rolling
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For cookies, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl whisk together paleo baking flour (or all-purpose flour), ground ginger, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, and salt.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer) cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, a few minutes of mixing. Then add in egg, water, and molasses. Finally slowly mix in the dry ingredients until the dough comes together.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake, make small tablespoon sized balls of dough out of the gingerbread dough and roll it into a ball. Coat the ball in coarse sugar and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes until cookies are golden brown around the edges. You should get about 36 small cookies out of this batch.
- Let cookies cool completely.
- Meanwhile, add butter for filling to a bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar in 1/2 cup batches and vanilla and beat until smooth. It should be a very thick, but also light filling.
- When cookies are cooled, add about a tablespoon of filling to each sandwich.
Cookies are fine stored at room temperature for a day or two in an airtight container.