Rhubarb is in season and these scones are a perfect use for it. Light, buttery, and completely delicious.
Optional topping: Cream + raw sugar
1) Chop rhubarb roughly.
2) Mix together 1/4 cup sugar and crystallized ginger. Mash ginger up or pulse lightly in a food processor.
3) Pour ginger sugar over rhubarb, stir, and let sit for a few minutes.
4) In a food processor or a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, sugar).
5) Add cold, cubed butter and pulse until it is in pea-sized pieces. You can mash it in with your fingers or a pastry cutter if you don’t have a food processor.
6) Stir in rhubarb mixture. Don’t use food processor for this step or it will overly chop the rhubarb.
7) Add egg, yolk, and cream and stir to combine.
8) Roll out on heavily floured surface until it’s about 1/3-1/2 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes.
9) Add to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush scones with cream and top with raw sugar.
10) Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Serve immediately!