Not only are these vanilla cupcakes delicious, but they are perfect for filling with a fun color to reveal a new baby gender!
1) Cream the butter and sugar together. Weigh the ingredients to get the recipe correct.
2) Mix all the dry ingredients together and all the wet ingredients separately. Add the wet and dry ingredients to the creamed butter by adding about 1/3 of the dry ingredients, then add half the wet ingredients, then half of the remaining dry ingredients, the rest of the wet ingredients, and then the rest of the dry ingredients.
3) For meringue: Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Do this one at a time and then add the white to the rest of the whites.
4) Start beating these with the hand mixer or stand mixer with a whisk attachment until they are very fluffy and forming light peaks, then slowly pour in the sugar. After a few more minutes of beating, stiff peaks will form.
5) With a spatula, fold the meringue into the previous batter mixture. Fold it slowly and take your time. You want to keep as many of the bubbles in the meringue as possible.
6) Add batter to cupcake tins, filling about 3/4s full, and bake at 375 degrees F. for 20 minutes until they are just cooked through.
7) Let cupcakes cool completely when they come out of the oven before icing.
8) For buttercream icing, beat softened butter with a mixer (paddle attachment) or a hand mixer until it’s light and fluffy. Add 2 cups powdered sugar and continue to beat.
9) Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat. ONce incorporated, add the rest of the powdered sugar and beat until thick and smooth. Scoop out about 1 cup of icing and add a few drops of food coloring depending on what you want.
10) When cupcakes are cooled, use a serrated knife to gently cut out the center of each cupcake. Pipe the colored icing into the center and replace the cut out piece of cupcake so the colored frosting is hidden.
11) Once all the cupcakes are filled, pipe rest of the frosting onto the tops of each cupcake and decorate however you want.