Rich tapioca pudding folded in with delicious ripe fruit. Perfect for a picnic!
1) Depending on the tapioca you purchase, your cooking instructions might vary, so cook the tapioca according to the instructions on your packaging.
2) Most likely, this will include beating your egg whites and sugar together until they form stiff peaks. You can either do this with a stand mixer or your hands and a whisk. It’s hard work by hand.
3) Soak the tapioca in cold water and then add the milk and egg yolks. Simmer over very low heat, stirring constantly. Once your tapioca is simmering and thick (again, consult your packaging for times), take it off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes. Then fold 1 Cup of cooked tapioca into your egg white mixture. Be gentle.
4) Then fold the tempered egg white mixture back into the main tapioca. If you don’t beat your egg whites long enough or let your tapioca cool (it should be warm to the touch but not hot), then your pudding won’t firm up enough.
5) Let your pudding cool for a bit in the fridge. It should be at least room temperature.
6) Chop all your fruit up into bite-sized pieces.
7) Fold the fruit into the pudding and serve! Again, be gentle when you’re folding your fruit in. Tapioca is a delicate thing. Enjoy!