My favorite frozen chicken enchiladas. They have clean, fresh flavors and reheat perfectly plus I use a great homemade enchilada sauce recipe!
1) Poach chicken in barely simmering water until just cooked through, 12-15 minutes. Once cooked, drain and let cool slightly. Then shred the chicken.
2) In a large skillet, add a drizzle of oil over medium heat. Add diced onions and peppers and cook until they start to soften, 3-4 minutes. Stir in cumin and season with salt and pepper. Finally stir in shredded chicken and tomatillo salsa. Stir to combine, then remove from heat and set aside.
1) In a medium pot, whisk together butter and flour over medium heat. Keep whisking until the mixture turns a light, tan color, about 5 minutes.
3) Whisk in all the spices and cook for another 30 seconds. Then start whisking in chicken stock in a thin stream. Once stock is whisked in, bring gravy to a slight simmer and cook until it thickens nicely, about 2-3 minutes, whisking occasionally.
TO make Enchiladas:
1) Add 1/4 cup oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Working with one tortilla at a time, let it heat in the oil for 5-10 seconds per side. Then remove tortilla and let drain on a paper towel.
2) Once a tortilla is warmed and flexible, work with one at a time. Fill it with some of the filling and a small handful of cheese. Roll it tightly.
3) Spoon some of the sauce into the bottom of each dish, then start laying in enchiladas. You should get 6 in each dish. Once all enchiladas are in the dishes, divide sauce between the dishes and top each with cheese.
TO Freeze: Let the enchiladas cool completely and then transfer to the freezer on baking sheets (still uncovered). Let the enchiladas freeze uncovered. Then remove them and wrap them tightly in a plastic wrap and a layer of heavy duty foil. Return the dishes to the freezer where they will store great for 4-6 months.
To reheat: Let the dishes thaw in the fridge slowly. Then reheat in a 350 degree F. oven for 25-30 minutes until the enchiladas are hot and the cheese is bubbly in the center. Serve with cilantro, sour cream, etc.