Simple fried oysters dressed up with a delicious and zesty goat cheese topping. This recipe features wonderful Blue Point oysters.
1) For the goat cheese mixture, stir together the goat cheese, hot sauce, lemon zest, parsley, and some milk just to thin it a bit. Set aside for later.
2) Shuck oysters being careful to leave oysters whole. Spoon oysters and juice into a bowl.
3) Whisk together egg with a few tablespoons of reserved oyster juice. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal and a few big pinches of salt, pepper, and cayenne.
4) Dip the oysters into the flour mixture, then into the egg mixture, then back into the breading to create a nice thick crust. Repeat with all the oysters and let the breaded oysters sit on a plate.
5) Heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil or canola oil in a cast iron skillet or any large pan. Once the oil is hot (350 degrees is perfect), toss in oysters. Depending on the size of your pan you might have to do it in batches, but you should be able to fit 12 in a 12 inch cast iron pan.
6) Fry oysters for 2-3 minutes, then flip and fry for another minute or two.
7) Remove oysters and let drain briefly on a few paper towels.
8) Serve fried oysters with the goat cheese mixture.