Apple Hoecakes start with shredded fresh apples mixed into a traditional Southern hoecake batter. This is a simple but delicious fall breakfast or brunch.
1) Stir together cornmeal, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add boiling water, stir, and let sit for 10 minutes.
2) Shred apple and toss with lemon juice to prevent browning.
3) Add olive oil and apple to cornmeal mixture. It should be a thick batter, but if it is completely solid add another 1/2 cup of hot water to loosen it.
4) Add a small drizzle of oil to a griddle or nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add 1/3 cup of batter to the pan and spread it out. Cook for about 4 minutes per side until it’s cooked through and lightly charred on the edges. It’s very hard to burn these.
5) Keep cooked hoecakes warm in a 200 degree F. oven or serve immediately with maple syrup and butter.