Five Spice Powder:
1) Lightly toast spices for a few minutes over medium heat.
2) Grind up in spice grinder.
3) Get a medium to large saucepan. It needs a tight fitting lid.
4) Sprinkle some popcorn kernels in the bottom of the pan until they cover the bottom in a single layer. If you do any more than that, they most likely won’t all pop.
5) Pour in vegetable or canola oil until the oil just covers the kernels.
6) Put the lid on tight and put it over medium-high heat. In a few minutes the kernels should start popping! Once they do, hold the lid on the pot with one hand and gentle shake the pan with the other hand.
7) After about a minute or two, the kernels should all (or mostly) be popped!
8) Pour the popcorn into a bowl and sprinkle some salt and five spice powder on it right away while it’s still hot.