These fast-to-make kebabs are a great way to kick off grilling season (or just keep it rolling). Easy to toss on the grill and so fun. The potatoes alone are worth trying!
2 pounds cod, salmon, or other meaty fish
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 lemons, sliced thin
Canola oil, for grilling
4 medium yukon potatoes, spiraled
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
- To prep grill, heat it so there is a direct heat area and an indirect heat area. If you’re using gas, usually I’ll turn two zones to medium-high heat and one zone to very low heat.
- To prep fish, cube into about 1-inch cubes and toss with olive oil, lemon pepper, and salt. Then skewer onto soaked wooden skewers alternating with thin lemon slices.
- To prep potatoes, skewer potatoes onto metal skewers and use a paring knife to cut around the potatoes in a spiral cut. It’s okay if you cut through them but try to keep the slices fairly uniform and thin. Then drizzle potatoes with olive oil, chili powder, cumin, and salt.
- To start grilling, add the potatoes to the direct heat area and grill for about 10 minutes, turning every few minutes, until potatoes take on some color and char. Then move the potatoes to the indirect heat area. They will need to continue to grill for another 20 minutes turning once or twice to keep from burning.
- To grill the fish, make sure your grill is very clean and preheated well. Then rub the grill grates with some canola oil to keep the fish from sticking. Add the skewers and grill for about 3 minutes per side. They will cook quickly! Try not to fuss with them too much while they cook or they will fall apart. Just turn them once.
- Ideally the fish and potatoes will finish grilling at about the same time. Serve a skewer of fish with a skewer of spiraled potato with tartar sauce on the side!