Eggs are poached in a spicy, rustic tomato soup and served with fresh basil and toast.
1) Prep all your ingredients before starting. Chiffonade your basil for later.
2) To start the soup, add oil to a large sauce pan and add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for a few minutes on medium-high heat until they are fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
3) Add crushed tomatoes, water, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and simmer for a few minutes.
4) Toast the bread in a 400 degree oven.
5) Crack each egg individually in a bowl and gently slide each egg into the tomato soup mixture. Make sure your soup is just lightly simmering and not boiling when you do this.
6) Cook eggs for about 3 minutes for runny yolks.
7) Serve each piece of toast with an egg and a ladle full of tomato soup. Sprinkle with basil and serve immediately.