Easy Black Bean Tortilla Soup
This is the second post in a three part series called Expecting Nugget #2! I took the liberty to insanely stock our freezer with lots of good eats in preparation for our second baby. I figured I would share them all because everybody needs good freezer meals!
Soup is always a great go-to freezer meal. If you’re trying to prep for a busy time in your life, having a few quarts of really good homemade soup in the freezer is step number one in my opinion! This easy black bean tortilla soup is just the thing you need!
You could make this soup with dried black beans, but it would be more involved. Using canned beans is a quick shortcut and still leaves you with a very delicious soup. I like to add a few chipotles to mine which gives the soup a little spice and a subtle smokey flavor. Totally optional though. Leave them out if they aren’t your thing!
- In a large dutch oven, add olive oil and diced onions. Cook until onions are translucent over medium heat, about 3-4 minutes. Then add minced chipotle peppers (opt.) and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Add in drained and rinsed black beans, corn, and tomatoes along with vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer.
- Add in chopped corn tortillas and simmer on low for 10 minutes. Tortillas should mostly dissolve. Season soup well with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup with any all garnishes you want, but most importantly crispy corn strips (or corn tortilla chips in a pinch).
For Crispy Corn Strips:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice corn tortillas and toss with olive oil, chili powder, salt and pepper. Spread them out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake corn strips for 15 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Remove corn strips and let cool. They will continue to crisp up as they cool.
Freeze this soup by letting it cool down to room temperature. Then transfer to freezer safe bags. Stores in the freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat slowly on the stovetop.
Easy Black Bean Tortilla Soup
This is an all-in-one-pot meal. Couldn’t get easier.
Start by adding the olive oil to a large dutch oven with a diced onion. Let that cook over medium heat until it’s translucent and then add the garlic, chipotle pepper, and cumin. A pinch of salt and pepper at this point wouldn’t hurt also.
Stir that all together and then add the beans, corn, and tomatoes. Remember to rinse and drain the beans really well before tossing them in the pot.
Add the vegetable stock as well and bring everything to a simmer. The liquid should just barely cover all the ingredients. If it doesn’t, add a bit more stock or water.
Once the soup is simmering, add in the chopped corn tortillas. These will dissolve in the soup and thicken it a bit. YUM.
After 15-20 minutes of simmering, this bad boy is ready to serve.
I serve my black bean tortilla soup piled high with homemade crispy corn strips (or just tortilla strips), sliced jalapenos, fresh cilantro, and a few limes. You could jazz it up even more with grated cheese or sour cream.
Couldn’t get easier and it’s a delicious and healthy meal.
BONUS: This meal freezes perfectly which is one of the reasons I chose it. Let the soup cool to room temperature and then store it in freezer safe bags. It’ll keep beautifully for three months. Reheat it slowly on the stove for best results.
It’s soup season and this one should be on your list!