When you’re feeling under the weather, nothing beats homemade chicken noodle soup. Here’s my favorite easy recipe!
Homemade Chicken Broth:
1) To start broth, add all broth ingredients in your largest pot.
2) Bring this mixture to a simmer. You will want to cook this for at least an hour until the vegetables are basically mush and the chicken is cooked all the way through.
3) The broth is done when the chicken starts falling off the bone. There will also be a fair amount of fat on the surface and the veggies will be almost brownish because the flavor is sapped out.
4) Remove chicken and strain your broth. Try to skim off as much of the fat as possible, because we are going to add some fresh olive oil in just a second. You don’t have to get it all though. A thin layer of it won’t hurt your soup a bit.
5) Wait for your chicken to cool and then pull it apart.
6) Wipe your large pot out and add a fresh drizzle of olive oil to the pot. Cook the veggies for a few minutes in olive oil until they start to turn translucent. It’s okay if they still have some bite though.
7) Next add back ALL your broth and bring it all to a simmer. You don’t have to measure the broth. However, much you made before is the perfect amount.
8) When the soup is at a boil, throw in your egg noodles.
9) After a few minutes your noodles will be tender and you can add your chicken back to the party.
Season with salt and pepper and serve with crackers or crusty bread.