1) Cut dates in half and remove seeds, then dice. Set aside for later.
2) Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3) Whisk wet ingredients in a small bowl.
4) Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. If it is really thick, add a bit more milk. Add in orange zest and mix well.
5) Heat griddle or pan over medium heat. Add butter and melt.
6) Once butter is hot and bubbling, pour in 1/3 cup pancakes. Once pancakes are in, dot with chopped dates.
7) Cook pancakes on side one until they are firm around the edges and bubbling in the center, about 3 minutes. Then flip!
8) Cook on side two for another 2 minutes until the pancakes are cooked through.
9) Top pancakes with butter, syrup, and powdered sugar and serve immediately!