Believe it or not, using your waffle iron to make homemade crispy waffle cereal is pretty easy! The cereal stays crispy in milk (assuming you don’t let it sit forever) and is a fun and delicious cooking project!
- Heat waffle iron to medium-high heat. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Then add milk, oil, eggs, and cinnamon and whisk until it forms a thick batter.
- Lightly grease the waffle iron with vegetable oil or nonstick spray.
- Add small dollops of batter to the iron, spread out so they don’t touch. I used a heaping teaspoon amount of batter but you can eyeball it. You should get 6-8 waffle cereal per larger waffle side.
- Close waffle iron and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes until iron signals it is done. Cooking time can vary based on the waffle iron you are using. The finished cereal should be a deep golden brown and crispy on all sides.
- Remove cereal pieces and let cool in a bowl. Repeat until all the batter is used. If you have a two-sided waffle iron you can alternate and it goes pretty quickly.
To serve cereal, scoop cereal into a bowl and add milk. Add a sprinkle of extra cinnamon if you want or even a drizzle of syrup. Eat immediately so cereal doesn’t get too soggy.
Store leftover waffle cereal in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.