These are one of my favorite healthy vegetarian meals. Crispy tofu that’s caramelized with a little maple syrup and loaded up with crunchy veggies and an easy spicy peanut sauce!
1 (14-16 oz. package) extra firm tofu
2 tablespoons neutral oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
Cucumber, sliced thin
Red pepper, sliced thin
Red onion, sliced thin
Spicy Peanut Sauce:
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/3 cup water
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- For tofu, cut it into about 1/4-inch thick sheets and press the tofu between paper towels to press out as much liquid as possible. Then slice tofu into sticks and pat dry.
- Add neutral oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. A nonstick skillet or well-seasoned cast iron skillet works best. When the oil is shimmering, add the tofu sticks and cook until the are crispy and lightly browned around the edges, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Drizzle tofu with maple syrup and continue to cook until the syrup forms a glaze on the tofu, a few minutes. Then remove skillet from the heat.
- Meanwhile, stir together peanut sauce ingredients in a small pot over medium heat. Once ingredients are simmering lightly, turn heat down to low and simmer for 3-4 minutes until sauce thickens. Then remove from heat and let cool to room temp.
- Slice all your veggies into thin strips. I like to cut the cucumbers into half-coins.
- Make a wrap by layering veggies longwise on a flatbread. Then top with a few strips of tofu and drizzle with sauce. Serve extra sauce on the side!