These crispy oatmeal cookies are the evil step-child of the soft raisin-packed oatmeal cookie. Thin, laced with orange zest, and crispy! Very addictive!
1) Add butter, sugars, and orange zest to a large bowl.
2) Using a hand mixer or stand mixer (or I guess a fork/whisk combo attack), cream the butter into the sugar on medium speed.
3) Add a large egg and vanilla extract.
4) In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients except the rolled oats.
5) Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into butter mixture.
6) Mix in oats, 1/2 Cup at a time.
7) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a parchment-lined baking sheet place heaping Tablespoon balls of dough with a good amount of space in between each ball (8 per tray)
8) Using a spatula (fingers), mush the dough down until you have small disks that are about 1/2 inch high.
9) Bake for 14-16 minutes and if they appear to be cooking unevenly, rotate the sheet halfway through.
10) Once the cookies are lightly browned around the edges, take them out and let them cool on a wire rack. Let them cool on their baking sheet.