Crispy Chickpea Bacon Ranch SaladJump to Recipe
In the summer, I’m always a big fan of having a big salad for dinner. But sometimes salad can be a bit of a letdown and I find myself heading back to the pantry for a snack an hour or two after dinner. But, this crispy chickpea bacon ranch salad is hearty enough and big enough to really fill you up!
And let’s face it… there are some people out there that are ranch haters. But you know what. I’ll be the first to raise my hand and say that I love the stuff. Do I eat it everyday? No. Is it my go-to salad dressing? Probably not. But for some reason, on a salad like this with crispy bacon, cheddar cheese, and loads of other veggies, it just screams for ranch.
Hate if you want (or just use a different dressing I reckon), but ranch is what I use on this sucker!
This is a big enough salad to make a meal. Crispy bacon and chickpeas, plus cheddar, fresh crunchy veggies, and spinach and avocado. And you know it’s topped with ranch!
- Chop bacon and add it to a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Cook until bacon is crispy, stirring regularly. When bacon is browned and crispy, remove it from the skillet.
- While bacon is cooking, drain chickpeas well and rinse them. Then toss them with chili powder and paprika.
- When bacon is crispy, remove with a slotted spoon and let drain on a few paper towels. Then add seasoned chickpeas to the skillet with the bacon grease. Cook for about 5 minutes until chickpeas turn slightly browned and crispy. Remove them and drain on a few paper towels.
- While the bacon and chickpeas cook, you can prep your other ingredients. Chop veggies and cheddar and divide spinach and veggies on plates.
- Divide bacon and crispy chickpeas between salads and drizzle each salad with ranch dressing. Serve as an appetizer or pile it high and make a dinner out of it!
Crispy Chickpea Bacon Ranch Salad
Bacon first right? I just chop mine and cook it in a skillet until the bacon is nice and crispy. Pull out the bacon and leave the bacon grease because that’s what we’ll crisp up the chickpeas in!
Most importantly: Drain the chickpeas and rinse them well with water and then season them with some chili powder and paprika. Toss them in the same skillet you used for the bacon and the bacon grease will crisp up the chickpeas a bit. It gives the salad some really nice texture and is a great fill-you-up ingredient also.
While the bacon and chickpeas crisp up you can spend some time with your favorite cutting board and knife chopping up the rest of the veggies. It should go without saying that you could use other veggies for this salad. These are just the ones I particularly liked.
Also, if you wanted to beef up the salad even more, it wouldn’t be a terrible idea to toss on a hard-boiled egg!
When you’re ready to eat, divide the baby spinach between plates and then add the veggies, cheese, bacon and chickpeas.
Drizzle with ranch!
If you’re serving this as an appetizer, you can get probably 6 plates out of the ingredient list. Or you can really eat it as a meal and it’ll serve 3-4 pretty easily.
Also, the nice thing about this salad is that all the ingredients store really well. For my leftovers, I tossed together the veggies, cheese, bacon, and chickpeas and it made a delicious weekday lunch salad!
In these hot summer days, hearty salads are always welcome in my opinion and this bacon ranch salad is a welcome one!
Here are a few other great chickpea recipes!
Hello! My name is Nick Evans and I write and manage Macheesmo. I started Macheesmo 11 years ago when I was just learning my way around the kitchen. I love to cook and love everything food-related, but I have no formal training. These days I focus on fast, accessible recipes with the occasional “reach” recipe!
I’ve posted almost 2,000 recipes on Macheesmo. For each one, I do my best to give full explanations of what I did and tips on what I’d do differently next time. I’ll bring up the tricky parts and the easy parts.
I hope you can find something and cook something!