These delicious and hearty noodles are made with blended squash plus a few simple ingredients. You’re going to love this quick hearty winter noodle dish!
1 kabocha squash, roasted or microwaved
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup cashew nuts
12 oz. linguine pasta
1 cup pasta water
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup half and half
1 teaspoon brown sugar
Salt and pepper
Pinch of cayenne
Parmesan cheese, garnish
- Cut squash in half and poke some holes in the outer peel with a fork. Microwave squash in 5 minute bursts on high, cut side down, until the squash is very tender. (10-15 minutes depending on squash and microwave power). Let squash cool a bit. Then scoop out seeds and scoop squash flesh into a bowl.
- Cook pasta according to package in salted water until it’s al dente. Reserve 2 cups of pasta cooking water. Drain rest of pasta and set aside.
- In a medium skillet add olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and cashew nuts. Cook until veggies soften, 3-4 minutes.
- Add squash and onion mixture to a food processor along with 1 cup of pasta cooking water. Pulse until smooth. If the sauce seems very thick, add more water. It should be thick, but pourable.
- Add squash puree to pot along with nutmeg, cayenne, and half and half. Stir together and then fold in noodles. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve noodles garnished with chopped chives and Parmesan cheese.