Slightly spicy creamed spinach simmered slowly and served over chunky bread with a crispy fried egg. Simple comfort food!
1) Cut stems off of spinach (some stems are okay) and rinse well. Then chop spinach and let drain in a colander.
2) In a large skillet, add butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Once melted, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
3) Add spinach and cover. Let spinach steam and cook until wilted, 4-5 minutes.
4) Remove lid and season with red pepper flakes, ground nutmeg, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Let cook until water evaporates from the skillet.
5) Turn heat down to low and stir in milk and cream. Continue to cook on low for 5-6 minutes until mixture is thick.
6) Meanwhile, toast bread and fry eggs in a little olive oil.
Stack toast in a bowl and spoon over creamed spinach. Be sure to get plenty of the cooking liquid. Serve topped with an egg and extra toast on the side.