This pudding cake is straight from my childhood. It has simple ingredients, but the combination of chocolate pudding, cream cheese, and cool whip is truly my ideal summer dessert.
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup minced pecans
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
Pinch of salt
1 (5 1/2 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
3/4 cup Cool Whip
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
3/4 cup powdered sugar
Leftover cool whip for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, pecans, pinch of salt, and melted butter. Press the mixture into your baking dish. I like a 9×13 baking dish but you could make it in a deep 8×8 baking dish. Bake crust for 17-18 minutes at 375 and then let cool completely.
- Whip together instant pudding and milk until thick and then stir in mini chocolate chips. When crust is cool, spread pudding onto crust. Chill for 15-20 minutes.
- Next, whip together cream cheese, 3/4 cup cool whip, and powdered sugar until the mixture is a light frosting. Then stir in about 2 tablespoons sprinkles.
- Spread the cream cheese layer on top of the chocolate layer. It’s okay if there is some mixing. It doesn’t have to be perfect!
- Finally, spread on remainder of cool whip on top to make a clean top layer and then sprinkle heavily with sprinkles of your choosing.
- Keep chilled until serving time!