1) Peel and cut the beets.
2) Cut the beets into matchsticks about 1/4 inch wide.
3) Cut the carrots and celery into matchsticks that are the same size. Also, slice onions into half rings.
4) Melt the butter over medium-high heat in the largest pan you have.
5) Once the butter is melted, add the onions and cook them for about 5 minutes until they are getting translucent. Then add the celery, carrots, and beets, and garlic. Let those cook for about 5 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
6) Add a big pinch of kosher salt.
7) Get a piece of cheesecloth, or any clean cloth that you have and wrap up the bay leaves, parsley, cloves, and peppercorns.
8) Add the spice package to the veggies and about 10 cups of veggie stock. That should cover the veggies perfectly. Depending on the size of the veggies though you may need a little more or a bit less. Basically, the stock should just cover the veggies.
9) Bring this to a boil and then simmer on medium-low heat for about an hour until the veggies are tender but not mushy.
10) Let soup cool to room temperature and then stick in fridge for a day.
11) Serve with a big dollop of sour cream, chopped chives, and freshly ground pepper.