A delicious ice cream recipe from Cornerstone Cooking and a fun bonus recipe for how to use the ice cream once you have it made.
1) Combine milk, honey, and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan and heat until it is almost simmering over medium heat. Stir frequently so honey dissolves.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together yolks and sugar until the mixture is a light yellow color.
3) Slowly whisk 1 cup of warm milk mixture into yolk mixture so it warms slowly, tempering it.
4) Whisk warm yolk mixture back into saucepan with milk.
5) Return pan to heat and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon or spatula, about 5 minutes.
6) In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk and vanilla. Strain warm custard mixture into coconut milk and whisk to combine.
7) Chill mixture until it’s chilled completely. If you don’t want to wait, then set the bowl in an ice bath and stir for 10-15 minutes and it will completely chill the custard mixture.
8) Churn the ice cream according to your machine instructions.
9) Store ice cream in a freezer-safe dish until it’s frozen solid. I recommend removing it from the freezer and stirring vigorously every hour as it freezes to break up the ice crystals. It will result in a smoother finished product.