Save those last tomatoes of the season for this delicious and classic appetizer. One of my absolute favorites!
4 large green tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup cornmeal
2 cups oil, for frying
Ranch, for serving
- Slice stems off green tomatoes and cut into about 1/4-inch slices.
- In different bowls, stir together flour with all the spices, whisk together eggs and milk, and stir together breadcrumbs and cornmeal.
- Working with a few tomato slices at a time, dust in the flour, then move to the egg, and finally coat in the breadcrumb and cornmeal mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot (a small amount of breadcrumbs dropped in should sizzle immediately).
- Fry breaded green tomatoes for about 3 minutes per side until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove tomatoes and let drain on a few paper towels. Season immediately with a little extra kosher salt. Repeat with all tomato slices.
- Serve fried green tomatoes with ranch dressing.