1) When you get home with your clams, put them in a big bowl and fill it up with water. Let them sit in the fridge for a few hours and change the water once. This will flush out any sand.
2) Place your largest skillet or wok over medium high heat and add oil. Then add all clams. Cover so clams can steam for a few minutes.
3) Meanwhile cook pasta according to package, but slightly under cook it.
4) After about five minutes most of the clams should be opening. Add the garlic and red pepper if you’re using it. Cover and cook for a few more minutes.
5) When clams are all opened, turn off heat and cover them.
6) When you drain your pasta, be sure and save a cup of pasta water for later. Add undercooked pasta to the clams and turn heat back on. Stir until pasta becomes completely cooked. If it looks dry, add reserved pasta water.
7) Serve with some Parm or chopped parsley if you so desire.