Homemade vanilla ice cream packed full of chocolate and caramel covered pretzels. Decadent and delicious!
Basic Vanilla Ice Cream:
For the Ice Cream:
1) Whisk egg yolks with 1/4 cup of sugar until light and pale yellow. In a medium to large pot, add milk, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla and heat over medium heat until steaming and sugar is dissolved.
2) Slowly whisk 1/2 of the hot milk mixture into the yolks, then whisk the hot yolks back into the hot milk, tempering the eggs.
3) Return the pot to low heat and heat, stirring constantly, until custard is thick enough to coat a spoon, about 5-6 minutes.
4) Strain custard with a mesh strainer and whisk in 2 more teaspoons good vanilla extract and cream.
5) Put mixture over an ice bath until chilled or chill in the fridge until very cold.
6) Add to ice cream maker and churn according to instructions.
Melt ingredients over a double boil or a pan with some simmering water. Once ingredients are combined well and melted, drizzle over pretzels on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Add water, sugar, corn syrup, and a small pinch of salt to a small pan over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. When mixture starts to bubble, stop stirring although you can shake the pot occasionally. Cook until mixture is an amber brownish color which will probably take 4-5 minutes depending on your heat and pot.
Remove sugar from stove and whisk in cream and vanilla. Be careful as it will bubble like crazy. Whisk until smooth.
Drizzle caramel sauce over pretzels.
To finish the ice cream:
Stir crunched pretzels into ice cream and freeze until solid. Serve with extra pretzels on top!