An enriched dough filled with butter, chocolate, and cinnamon. The babka is very light and very flavorful.
1) Add warm milk, 2 Teaspoons of sugar, and yeast in a stand mixer bowl.
2) Wait 5 minutes until it’s foamy then add 1/2 Cup flour and mix until it’s combined (use the paddle attachment or a wooden spoon).
3) Add your eggs, yolk, vanilla, salt, and remaining sugar. Mix in the remaining flour about 1/2 Cup at a time.
4) Once all the flour is combined, beat in your butter.
5) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover it with a towel.
6) Let it rise for about 2 hours (until it doubles in size) in a warm place.
7) Split your large ball of dough into two equal sizes.
8) On a lightly floured surface, roll out your dough until it is about 10 inches by 18 inches.
9) Take about 3 Tablespoons of butter and lightly spread it over the surface of the dough leaving about 1/2 inch border around the edges.
10) Pour your filling ingredients over the buttered portion of the dough.
11) Add chocolate in even layers.
12) Mix your egg wash ingredients together with a fork.
13) Lightly brush the bottom side of the dough with the egg wash then roll the dough up toward you and seal off the edge.
14) Place remaining egg wash mixture in the fridge for future use.
15) Get your pan ready by cutting out a rectangle of parchment paper and placing it in the bottom of your loaf pan. Spray the pan lightly with non-stick spray.
16) Take your rope of dough and form a circle by pulling the two ends together. Then hold one side of the circle down and twist the other side a few times to form a rope effect. Lay this into your prepared pan.
17) Cover this with a moist towel and let it rise in a warm spot for two more hours.
18) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare your crumb topping. Brush the top of your loaf with some of your egg wash from earlier and then sprinkle on your topping right before sticking it in the oven.
19) Bake for about 40 minutes until the top is nice and browned.
20)Transfer the loaf to a rack to cool. 10 or 15 minutes later carefully remove it from the pan and then let it cool to room temperature.
21) Slice it up!