Perfectly seasoned potatoes cut in a swirl and baked. Topped with a crumble of cheese and cilantro. A great tex-mex or side or party appetizer!
3-4 medium Yukon potatoes
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
Hot sauce, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Scrub potatoes well, then dry and skewer onto metal skewers. Try to get the skewer in the center of the potato, longwise.
- Use a small paring knife to cut the potato into a spiral. As you work down the skewer, cut down to the skewer at an angle. If you accidentally cut through the potato, it’s okay! It’ll still taste good.
- When you have all your potatoes spiraled, place them on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Brush the potatoes liberally with melted butter. Then sprinkle with seasoning mix.
- Bake potatoes for 40-45 minutes, turning once halfway through so they cook evenly. Finished tornado potatoes should be cooked through and tender, but crispy in spots around the edges.
- Remove potatoes and sprinkle with queso fresco, fresh cilantro, and a little extra seasoning mix. Serve while warm.