1) Add your dried peppers in a single layer to a baking sheet and bake at 250 degrees for 30 minutes, turning a few times throughout.
2) Cool peppers for a few minutes. They should be very crunchy. Remove the stems from each pepper and shake out as many seeds as you can.
3) Grind up the dried peppers either using a food processor, a mortar and pestle, or just put them in a plastic bag and mash them with a mallet or a rolling pin.
4) The chili powder will keep for months in a plastic bag.
5) Rub your steak with the chili powder, covering the steaks in an even layer. Also sprinkle with salt and pepper and press the spices into the steaks.
6) Grill the steaks over medium-high. Depending on thickness and doneness you’ll probably need to cook them for 8-12 minutes, turning once half-way through.
7) If you’re using a cast iron skillet, add a tiny amount of oil to the pan over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add your steak and sear for 3 minutes per side. Then finish in a 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes depending on thickness and doneness.
8) Rest steaks for 5 minutes before cutting.