These delicious chicken smash burgers are a fun twist on the classic smash burger. I add lots of caramelized onions and cheddar to my version!
1 pound ground chicken
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 white onion, sliced thin
4 slices cheddar cheese
4 potato buns
- Divide ground chicken into four even balls and season with salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Heat a large griddle or cast-iron skillet over medium heat until it’s hot. Spray with nonstick spray.
- Place burgers on griddle and press with something heavy and sturdy. A smaller cast iron skillet with foil on the bottom works well for this. Press each burger for 10 seconds.
- Add sliced onions (optional) to the top of the burgers. Cook for 90 seconds.
- Flip burgers and cook for another 2 minutes. Then add cheese. Place a bowl over the burgers with a little water to create steam.
- When burgers are done, serve on toasted buns with mayonnaise, lettuce, and pickles.