Inspired by traditional chicken shawarma, these bowls are packed with veggies, marinated roasted chicken, and a creamy roasted garlic sauce! The perfect healthy dinner or lunch option!
Roasted Garlic Sauce:
- Slice the end off the head of garlic and drizzle with a little olive oil and a pinch of salt. Wrap tightly in foil and roast garlic head at 325˚F for 25-30 minutes until garlic is very tender.
- Remove garlic from oven and let cool slightly. Then open and pop out the cloves which should be mashable.
- Add all garlic cloves to a large cup along with other dressing ingredients and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Alternatively, you can blend in a traditional blender or mash cloves well and whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Store dressing in the fridge until ready to serve.
For Chicken Shawarma Bowls:
1. Mix together olive oil, salt, garlic, cumin, coriander, lemon juice, turmeric, and cinnamon. Add chicken thighs and coat well. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes but up to overnight is fine.
2. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 400˚F and spread chicken thighs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast the chicken thighs until they are cooked through and register 170˚F in the thickest part. This should take around 25 minutes.
3. Optionally, drain chickpeas and spread them out on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and a pinch of salt and pepper and roast alongside the chicken.
4. While chicken roasts, prepare veggies.
Assemble bowls by adding a few handfuls of greens to a bowl (you can add rice if you would like). Then add sliced chicken shawarma to the middle of the bowl and spread the vegetables around the outsides. Customize the bowls to your liking! Drizzle with dressing and garnish with fresh parsley.
Leftover chicken stores great in the fridge for around 5 days. Assemble bowls in advance for quick lunches.