1) Add chicken livers to a bowl with enough milk or buttermilk to cover them. Let marinate for about an hour (or longer).
2) Rinse livers well and flush a few times with cold water. Then cut off any tough white parts of the livers.
3) Add cleaned livers to a medium pot with onion, garlic, bay leaves, and white wine. Bring to a slight simmer.
4) Poach the livers in the wine until they are just cooked through, about 10-12 minutes.
5) Let cool.
6) Drain livers and add livers, onions and garlic to a food processor with softened butter and anchovies. Process until smooth.
7) Season with salt and pepper and spoon into ramekins.
8) Optionally, top each ramekin with some melted butter to form an airtight layer over the pate.
9) Refrigerate pate for at least 4 hours. You can also eat this right away, but I find it’s better chilled.
10) Serve with toasted bread, capers, red onion, and fresh parsley.