Some really good fried chicken served with delicious homemade waffles. Also, some tips for feeding it to a crowd!
1) For brine, mix spices, salt, and sugar with water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, kill the heat and let cool to room temperature.
2) Cut up chicken and pour cooled brine over chicken. Cover and chill overnight.
3) When you’re ready to fry the chicken, pour out the brine and rinse off the chicken with cold water. Be sure to get off all the spices.
4) Combine buttermilk with a pinch of salt and combine flour with spices.
5) Dry chicken with a paper towel. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, then dip in buttermilk, then back to flour. Dry – Wet – Dry.
6) Let chicken sit for 10 minutes.
7) Fry chicken at 350 degrees until golden brown and cooked through. Dark pieces will probably need 16-18 minutes. Breasts 12-14 minutes and wings 8 minutes.
8) Let drain for a minute or two before serving.
9) Serve with waffles, maple syrup, and powdered sugar.