This homemade version is comfort food in a bowl. Homemade chicken soup with stars pasta is an instant cure for most sicknesses!
1) Chop chicken into pieces and add the carcass pieces and wings to a large sturdy pot over high heat with a drizzle of oil. Let the chicken pieces brown well over high heat for about 8 minutes. Turn the chicken every few minutes to make it browns evenly.
2) Add your other stock ingredients (including other chicken parts) except the water to the heavy pot and let them all sautee for a few minutes. Try to scrape up any stuck-on bits.
3) Add the water to your pot and make sure you have enough water to barely cover the ingredients. Bring to a simmer and turn the heat down to medium. Simmer the stock on medium, partially covered, for about 60-75 minutes.
4) Remove all the chicken pieces from the stock and let them cool briefly.
5) Strain the warm stock into a large bowl. If there’s a lot of fat on the surface of the stock, try to spoon off some of it. It’s okay though to have a small layer of fat on the stock for this recipe.
6) Once chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin from chicken and shred it into bite-sized pieces.
7) In your same large pot, add a new drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat. Then add all your diced veggies. Sautee for a few minutes until they start to soften. Add fresh thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper.
8) Add stock back to pot and bring to a simmer.
9) Once soup is simmering, stir in stars pasta and cook until al dente, about 9-10 minutes.
10) Finally stir in shredded chicken and season with salt and pepper.
11) Serve soup with crackers or crusty bread.